Yellow stem borer: Scirpophaga incertulas (Walker)(Lepidoptera : Pyralidae)
Local name: Haladi Kanda Koraka
- Caterpillars bore central shoot of seedlings and tillers leading to death of central shoot called "Dead Heart".
- Panicle turn whitish, erect with chaffy spikelets and can be easily pulled out, is known as "white ears"
Dead Heart White ears Yellow stem borer infested field
- Clipping of seedling before transplanting for prevention egg laying
- Harvesting done at the base of plant in order to avoid pupae remain in the field.
- Five to six releases of the egg parasitoid Trichogramma japonicum @1,00,000 adult parasites per hectare starting from 15 days after planting, in a crop season is effective and economical.
- ETL:5-10% dead heart, 5% chaffy earhead per square meter 1 adult/egg mass
- Spray endosulfan or monocrtophos or chloropyriphos 2ml /liter (624ml/acre) in water.
- Before sowing apply 10kg/acre of 0.3 G fipronil or carbofuron 3G @ 7.6kg/acre in soil and then go for irrigation.
Submitted by naipictuasdharwad on Wed, 08/07/2009 - 15:18