- The inflorescence of rice plant, borne on terminal shoot and thus called as panicle.
- It is determinate type and at maturity, it is droopy in nature.
Fig: A flowered rice spikelet
- A spikelet is the floral unit and consists of two sterile lemmas, a lemma, a palea and the flower.
- Its parts are:
- Lemma: It is a 5- nerved hardened bract with a filiform extension (of the middle nerve) known as awn.
- Palea: IT is a 3- nerved bract slightly narrower than lemma.
- Flower: It consists of 6 stamens with two-celled anthers and a pistil with one ovary and two stigmas. The pistil contains one ovule.
Submitted by akanksha on Mon, 06/07/2009 - 17:14