Rice Gundhi Bug: Leptocorisa acuta Thunberg (Hemiptera : Coreidae)
Local name: Gandhi Tigane
- The nymphs and adults suck the milk from the developing grains and stem in the early stage of grain formation.
- Discolouration of panicles as well as the presence of some empty or ill filled grains in the panicles.
- Infested paddy straw contains foul smell.
Damaged grains are smaller (IRRI)
Damaged grains caused by rice bug (IRRI)
- Remove weeds from fields and surrounding areas
- Small wasps parasitize the eggs and the meadow grasshoppers prey on them.
- Both the adults and nymphs are preys to spiders, coccinellid beetles and dragonflies
- A fungus infects both nymphs and adults.
- Look for rice bugs at pre flowering stage and continue daily until the hard dough stage during early morning or late afternoon hours.
- ETL : 1 nymph /adult per hill (DRR)
10 rice bugs /20 hills (IRRI)
- malathion dust 5% @ 8kg/acre or malathion 50EC @ 2ml/l (350ml/acre) and take up spraying on panicle.
- 270 liter of spraying chemical is required per acre.
Submitted by naipictuasdharwad on Thu, 09/07/2009 - 10:30