Harvesting and yield of Pomegranate
- The fruit requires 130-140 days after set for proper maturity.
- Colour changes from yellowish to dark red.
- Fruit is harvested when it gives cracking sound on pressing the fruit.
- The calyx at the distal end of the fruit gets closed at the time of maturity.
- Properly matured fruits can be easily scratched with finger nails.
Method and time of harvesting
- Either early in the morning or in the evening hours.
- Use clippers and bags for harvesting.
- Do not pull the fruits.
- Cut the stem close to the base.
- Do not keep longer stem end, as it cause danger to the other fruits.
- Do not keep fruits on the ground, so those should keep in plastic crates.
Quality requirement of importing countries
- Smooth cutting at the stem end
- Shining dark rose pink colour of the fruit
- Fruit weight around 200-400 g
- It should be round with dark rose pink arils
- Seed should be soft
- TSS should be 16 -17Brix
- Bracts of calyx having freshness and with out any damage
- Pleasant flavors and aroma
- Without blackening of arils
- 200 to 250 fruits per plant (15 to 20 t/ha.)
Submitted by naipagropediaraichur on Wed, 25/07/2012 - 15:12