Skip to main content

Extension Strategy for Bundelkhand Region- Lakhan Singh

Extension Strategy for Bundelkhand Region- Lakhan Singh

Uttar Pradesh has huge diversity with 9 agro-climatic zones characterized by drylands of Bundelkhand with annual rainfall of about 650 mm, cropping intensity 111%.  The Bundelkhand zone even possesses lower productivity than that of the state (9.49 q/ha). The agro-climatic zone-wise analysis of Uttar Pradesh reveals that Bundelkhand region alone shares maximum acreage under major pulses (44.5%) followed by Central Plain zone (20.5%).  These two zones together share 65.0 per cent acreage under pulses in the state. However, the Bundelkhand zone with considerable area possesses lower average yield (3.79 q/ha) than that of the state's yield (4.35 q/ha). 

As output of Travel Workshop for developing 'Extension Strategy for Bundelkhand Region' organized at Chitrakoot by Zonal Project Directorate, Kanpur is given below to act upon by the farmers and extension functionaries.

  • The improved varieties of chickpea (DCP 92-3, JG 16, KWR 108 & KGD 1168), pigeonpea (Narendra Arhar 1, Amar, MAL 13 and BSMR 736), lentil (JL3, DPL 62 and IPL406) pea (Prakash, Adarsh,  Vikas,  Ambika, Shikha, Indra), Urd (Uttara, Azad Urd 2, Shekhar 1,  Shekhar 2, Narendra Urd 1)  and mung (Samrat, Meha, SML 668, HUM16, IPM 02-3) are very promising for Bundelkhand region which need to be promoted along with production and protection technologies.
  • Linkages should be developed between KVKs and IIPR, Kanpur for technical backstopping and seed production at KVKs and farmers' fields.
  • Training packages on improved production technologies of pulses should be developed for capacity building of farmers in the region. Lead messages including improved varieties, sprinkler irrigation, bio-fertilizers, use of sulphur and zinc, ridge & furrow sowing, intercropping, plant protection, etc. should be popularized.
  • There is a lot of  scope  for  introducing micro  irrigation system  like  sprinkler  especially  in crops  like  chickpea, fieldpea and Lentil.
  • Bundelkhand  region has  typical  soils  which  are  distinctly diverse  in nature and  hence,  appropriate farm machinery  is  essentially  required.
  • To attract farmers by providing better prices through value addition has tremendous scope.  A  special programme on well designed  operational  mini  dal  mill may bring  revolution in  enhancing  the  area  under cultivation.
  • Wilt, pod borer and sterility mosaic are important pests of chickpea, lentil and  pigeon pea. For the control of these pests special programme need to be worked out.
  • Enhancing nutrient application and its efficiency with inclusion of Sulphur and Zinc in addition to Nitrogen and Phosphorus may boost the production and productivity of pulses.
  • Campaigns need to be taken up for controlling the menace of blue bulls.  Awareness  among  farmers  need to be  created for  stopping  the  free  grazing of  cattle during kharif which is  a  major factor for low area under kharif crops.
  • Technological options like growing of short duration mungbean in kharif and its ploughing back may help in enhancing cropping intensity, availability of pulses and organic carbon of the soil.
  • Weed management in kharif pulses through application of Pendimethalin may enhance the productivity of pulses by 35-40%.

 Dr. Lakhan Singh, Principal Scientist (Agril Extn), Zonal Project Directorate, Zone IV (ICAR), Kanpur


Your rating: None

Please note that this is the opinion of the author and is Not Certified by ICAR or any of its authorised agents.