Bruchids : Callosobruchus chinensis (Bruchidae:Coleptera)
- Adult beetle is 3 - 4 mm long, oval shaped chockalate coloured, body is pointed towards front.
- The adult emerges out of the pupa.
- The size of the adult beetle depends upon the size of the infested portion of the pulse.
Egg Grub Pupa Adult
- The adult and grub feed on the grain by making a small hole.
- Infested stored seed can be recognized by the presence of white eggs on the seed surface and the round exit holes with the 'flap' of seed coat.
- Kabuli types are particularly susceptible.